Friends

Saturday, March 5, 2011

Portion Distortion

This all started with an episode of some show that talks about the things that happen to our bodies when we get to be morbidly obese. It had a lot of good information in it and also got a great conversation going with my husband. We were discussing how much food I put on our plates when I cook. Which is an absurd amount, if people were here and saw how much I put on there I would be very embarrassed. It never really occurred to me how much I was eating in one sitting until I thought about it. We have really huge dinner plates and I feel the need to fill them up..don't ask me why. Last night I made pancakes..the size of a skillet. Why..I don't know. When I was a kid we didn't fill our plates full of food, we had appropriate sizes of food and types of food. It sadly blows my mind at the amount of food I eat on a plate. I don't even know when it started..I can't pin point it or think of a reason..maybe just because we have the huge dinner plates, much bigger then I have ever had before....So I will blame the plates lol. In all seriousness it is a real problem though. So from now on I am going to have to be very aware of portion sizes that I am eating.
Husband said it well last night, with the portions I(We) are eating I would have to exercise hours a day to make a difference.
It was a great discussion with him, and we talked about my weight loss and came up with a great plan and concrete path to follow. I have decided to set up my exercise equipment ( rowing machine, bike, manual treadmill) I can do a variety workout and get in a good workout for 1 hour a day. Which is what I need to do, in the past I noticed that when I workout less than an hour a day I don't see results. Last night on that show they were talking about how the first 30 minutes of exercise your not even burning off the fat being stored ( this is my summary it was much more complicated) and after that point you start burning the stored up fat. Who knows if that is true, but it makes sense to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment